Thursday, June 6, 2013

Our Hipster Neighbor

Our next door neighbor is a bona fide hipster.  "Our neighbor" being the one not that lives at the same address as us, but the one who lives one house down.

Perhaps the construction company who built one of our houses was working on the cheap, but we hear more of that neighbor than our housemates.  We hear full conversations.  We hear music (at all hours, all volumes.)  We hear TV or movies being played.

Last night, it was the Cosby show.  (Pure Hipsterdom.)  Unfortunately, I never heard our neighbor laugh, even though there is a laugh track to help even the dullest viewer know what is supposed to be funny.  This concerned me because while the tales of the Huxtables may not be comedic every 1.3 seconds like they would have you believe based on the background of peals of laughter, it is occasionally laugh-out-loud funny.  This is one of the main problems with hipsters that perhaps should be the focus of the next mission field:  their obsession with irony means that little is humourous.  Actually, come to think of it more philosophically, I think that perhaps, hipsters are the New Puritans.  Chew on that one for awhile.

Our neighborly New Puritan also has strange music habits.  I'm not sure if ours is unique, but he has a rotation of about 5 songs which he plays on repeat, ranging from Pearl Jam to this:

 

Once again, I am finding myself at the end of a post without a clear direction or reason as to why I think you should know about my hipster neighbor.

Perhaps the desire is that you know my pain as I lay in bed at night, trying to sleep but am kept awake more by my troubled mind over the silent response to a classic family comedy as it plays next door than the noise actually permeating into our bedroom.

Word.

1 comment:

  1. Do you find that those 5 songs your neighbor listens to repeating over and over in your head?

    Mom

    ReplyDelete